Our goal is to respectfully engage with local stakeholders — those who impact or may be impacted by our business — to understand their values and interests, reduce the impact of our operations, and contribute to economic opportunities.
By first listening to understand concerns, finding mutually agreeable solutions to mitigate these concerns with our actions and integrating those into planning and decision-making, we build long-term benefits for both the company and local stakeholders. Our approach to stakeholder engagement is guided by our principles and we:
- Proactively identify and seek out stakeholders.
- Include stakeholders in the design and implementation of the engagement process.
- Listen to understand stakeholders’ interests, concerns and culture.
- Communicate openly.
- Seek solutions that create mutually beneficial relationships and build long-term value for both the company and our stakeholders.
- Follow through on our commitments and stand accountable for the results, both internally and externally.
Stakeholder engagement is a key element of our Sustainable Development Position. Beyond stakeholders in the communities where we operate, we engage with government representatives, nongovernmental organizations, academic institutions, industry associations, and investors. In addition, we participate in multi-stakeholder forums to gain diverse and valuable perspectives as we continuously work to improve our sustainable development programs and initiatives.